Saturday, July 23, 2011

First few days in Germany

So technically this post is a few days old and I will update it in the very near future! I just now am getting a normal internet so I will be able to post a lot more than I have been!

What a crazy three days of travel this has been! I started out my adventure to Germany with a group of about 10 or so people from Oregon. First we flew to Chicago, and watched Jane Eyre, most boring movie of my life! But I couldn’t stop watching.. From Chi town we flew to Warsaw Poland, and I’m not sure why, but every flight that we had I was 10-15 rows ahead of the group so I was always by myself. I was so close to having an entire row to my self, and I totally thought I was going to but just as the plane was about to take off they moved a women into my row! I was so mad! On this flight I was completely surrounded by old Polish couples who did not speak English really at all. And not one, not two, but three crying babies! I did not get any sleep maybe three hours. No bueno. We had a two-hour lay over in Poland and I had to go through security again, third time through for the trip! Then we flew to Duesseldorf where we met my PC (project coordinator) and met up with the rest of the counselors. From there we all went to the Rhinedalen base and stayed the night. And can I just say, they put some weird stuff on sandwiches here, I have no idea what I ate but I was so tired and hungry at that point it did not even matter!

The next morning we met for breakfast and then went and sung some camp songs for some high ranked people on the base. I also got to meet the women I would be working with the most on base, Lynn, my base contact. After lunch I was given a car, a Mercedes benz! WOOOOOOOOOOO it’s pretty freaking sweet! It only had 248.2km on it when I got it, brand spanking new! Navigation too! We named it Large Marge. Okay… the truth is, it is an 9 person van, but it is the nicest 9 person van I have ever been in. I am okay driving a van if it is a benz lets be real! The Hohne people are the only ones who actually went to their base today (Tuesday) and that is only because we live so far away from everyone else. Our base is about 350 km from the Rhinedalen base. So I really got to see a lot of the German countryside today, I drove for four hours to get to our base! I got to drive on the Autobahn it was pretty sweet, and no, I did not drive slow. I drove very fast, about 110mpg approximately! IN LARGE MARGE! That thing moves right along! But everyone goes that fast, and I was not the slowest person on the road either!

Our Base is super nice, and our rooms are amazing! We all have our own room and bathroom and study area. Whoop Whoop I have yet to have a roommate with camp adventure! We all went into town with Lynn, the base contact, and went to dinner together. We went to a Mexican restaurant, which I think is very odd, I did not think that I would eat any Mexican food until I was back in the States. And it wasn’t very good. But it was fun to just sit and talk and not have to worry about traveling anymore!

I am super excited about the next week that is coming up, the people that we are working with are so laid back and helpful. Which is a complete 360 from the youth center staff that I worked with last year! Also my staff is pretty awesome, we all seem to get along really well, but I also need to remember we have been together for ehhhhhh three days now, that all could change!

But thus far, Germany is absolutely gorgeous! I think that this weekend we might be going to a salt water/spring/spa place and an amusement park. Not completely sure yet though. Should be a fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment